NGOs and political parties cutting across the party line January 8
joined hands and strengthened the demand to withdraw cases against
the Muslim youths detained in 2006 Malegaon blast case. Their
demands came following the confessional statement made by Swami Aseemanand that appeared in the media this Friday.
"After the confession of Swami
Aseemanand, there is no reason left to keep Muslim youths behind
the bar. Hence, we demand from the government to withdraw the
cases against these innocent youths and release them without any
further delay", a statement jointly signed by Mumbai based NGOs
said. The statement is issued after their meeting held at Mumbai
Peace Committee Office yesterday.
The meeting also decided to file a
Public Interest Litigation (PIL) and protest if the government
fails to accept their demands.
The demand for the release of the
Muslim youth also received support from Jitendra Ahawad, a member
of the state assembly.
"Since the day one, I am of the view
that Malegaon blast in 2006 was also carried by the hindutva
terrorists. The confession of Swami Aseemanand has only confirmed
my belief. Against this backdrop, I appeal to the government to
withdraw cases against the Muslim youths and start fresh probe into
the blast", media reports quoted Ahawad as saying.
Taking Jitendra Ahawad's demand
further Samajwadi Party MLA Abu Asim Azmi while addressing a press
conference in Mumbai demanded from the government to compensate
for the sufferings of these youths.
"Like the Australian Government did
in case of Mohd Haneef, I demand from the government to release
these youths and pay compensation for the injustice they had
suffered", he said.
In Malegaon too, the demand for the
release of these youths are gathering momentum. Local MLA Mufti Mohd Ismael, Janata Dal (S) Leader and former minister Nihal
Ahmed, former MLA Shaikd Rasheed and local NCP president Haji
Yusuf, in separate statements issued today and yesterday,
unanimously demanded from the government to withdraw the cases
against the Muslim youths in jail since 2006.
Similar demands were also raised by
Minority Commission Chairman Mohd Nasim Siddiquee, senior Advocate
SS Shaikh, Kul Jamaati Tanzeem and other local organisations.
32 people had been killed and more
than 300 people were injured when a series of blasts struck
Malegaon on September 08 in 2006 ahead of Shab-e-Barat, a
Muslim festival when thousands of people were busy in offering
Friday prayers in a mosque.
Swami Aseemanand, the accused
detained in Mecca Masjid and other blast cases, in his
confession has reportedly said, "It was not Muslim boys but a team
of RSS pracharaks who exploded bombs in Malegaon in 2006 and 2008,
on the Samjhauta Express in 2007, in Ajmer Sharif in 2007 and
Mecca Masjid in 2007."
Meanwhile, according to the media reports,
Maharashtra government and state ATS is maintaining complete silence and
has not come out with any statement so far.