Thane (Maharashtra): In a freak accident, four Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) workers
were electrocuted Sunday when the party flag one of them was
holding came in touch with an overhead electric wire, a party
The four were participating in an election campaign in Thane ahead
of the upcoming civic polls in Maharashtra.
"The incident occurred this morning when the victims were
preparing for a candidate's procession. Ten people suffered from
severe electric shock, four of who were killed immediately," Thane
NCP Chief Jitendra Avhad told IANS.
"The party workers raised a party flag, which accidentally touched
the overhead electric wire. The current immediately passed on to
the metal pole on which the flag was tied," Avhad added.
According to eyewitness, the person who raised the party flag
received massive electric shock and the ones who tried to rescue
him also suffered the shock.
According to doctors at the government hospital, one of those
killed was a minor. "One boy who was killed was only 16. His
mother and two other women from the family went into a shock and
were also admitted to the hospital," an official from Chatrapati
Shivaji Maharaj Hospital told IANS.
The official also said that five others were also admitted to the
hospital later. In total, 15 people suffered severe electric
"Of these, four were brought dead
and 11 have suffered electric burns. One of them is critical," the