Follow us on
Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » World
Fire in Dhaka’s largest wholesale market brought under control after two hours
Monday May 2, 2016 9:54 AM, Agencies

A devastating fire that broke out at Hasina Market in the capital’s Karwan Bazar area has been brought under control after two hours of frantic efforts, local media reported.

Fire Service and Civil Defence DG Brig General Ali Ahmed Khan told the Dhaka Tribune that the fire fighters doused the blaze at around 10pm on Sunday, according to Dhaka Tribune.

A total of 26 fire service units tried to douse the fire took place at 7:55pm, he said.

A four-member probe body headed by Sakil Newaz, deputy director of fire service Dhaka unit, has been formed to investigate into the fire incident, said Ali Ahmed.

Meanwhile, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, Dhaka North City Corporation Mayor Annisul Huq visited the spot.

Following the probe report, the government will take decision regarding compensation for the fire victims, said Kamal.

Annisul said WASA, Power Division jointly worked with the fire service to douse the fire.

The reasons behind the blaze could not be known yet.

Fire Service Deputy Director Md Mujammel Haq told the Dhaka Tribune that the fire might be originated from electric shot circuit in a carrom board shop located in the market.

No causalities were reported in the fire incident till updating of the report at 11:10pm.

Sohel, a worker of a shop in the market, told the Dhaka Tribune that the smoke of the fire was first noticed in a corner of the market.

The fire might be originated from a kerosene stove of a tea stall located in a corner of the market from where the smole emitted, he said.

Hasina Market Shop Owners Association Senior Vice President Ismail Hossain said fire service did not come to the spot timely. No water was carried by the units who reached the spot first.

The fire engulfed the market due to the negligence of the fire fighters, he alleged.

Some 178 shops out of total 181 have been gutted in the fire, he added.

The loss from the fire is roughly estimated around Tk50 crore, said Ismail.

Sheikh Md Maruf Hossain, additional commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, told the Dhaka Tribune that four platoons of police personnel were deployed in the spot to avoid any kind of untoward incident.

He also said the policemen helped the firemen maintain law and order during the incident.

Share this page
 Post Comments
Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of