GATE 2019 Civil Engineering Exam: The GATE 2019 Civil Engineering exam will be held in the month of February. This gives the aspirants more than five months for the preparation of GATE exam and this time, if utilized properly, is more than enough to score well in the GATE Civil Engineering Exam. So, here are some important preparation tips by experts to help the aspirants crack GATE 2019 Civil Engineering Exam.
Preparation Tips To Crack GATE 2019 Civil Engineering Paper
Let’s first see how the freshers should prepare for the Civil Engineering of GATE 2019.
Being new to the level of GATE exam, you must first be familiar with the competition. Every year 20,000-25,000 Civil Engineers add to the number of people appearing for this exam. You must also realize that the competition is going to be more fierce in the coming years and so have to be self-motivated as well.
Take this opportunity as a now or never situation and give your best in the preparation and the exam.
- First and foremost thing is to have a very proper understanding of the exam pattern. GATE exam is conducted by different IITs, in different years (IIT Madras will conduct the GATE exam in 2019), so the level of questions is expected to be on the higher side as compared to IES and other similar competitive exams.
- You must analyse the entire syllabus of the exam in detail first. In order to achieve a good rank in GATE exam, you don't really need to study everything (as in IES), rather focus on the study of the important concepts and numericals is a must.
- Study the concepts atleast twice from standard textbooks, basically keep brushing them up; study notes from a reputed coaching institute can also be consulted for better insight into the subject. This will help you have a clear idea on what and what not to study.
- Lay more focus on subjects that have a higher weightage in the exam. Start preferably with Geotechnical, Environmental Engineering, Strength of Materials or Fluid Mechanics. About 4-5 questions are asked every year from these subjects. Structure, Steel and Irrigation are not the favourites but yet you should never skip them if you want to secure a good rank. Also lay special emphasis on Mathematics as this subject carries a huge weightage and generally the level of questions is quite easy.
- The next step should be to solve numericals properly from workbooks and previous year GATE papers. Once you have studied the concepts, you should try to solve the questions immediately after that because this practice will help you relate the concepts which you have studied to their application in a proper manner.
- Always make a time table before starting. Remember 'well begun is half done'. And try your best to stick with the routine. Don't waste time in activities that are addictive in any way.
- Do not forget to make short notes after completing any subject and shorten them further after solving the questions from previous year papers.
- Always stay motivated. Do watch inspirational videos from previous year’s GATE toppers to understand how they cracked the exam, or the sources which they referred.
- Once you are prepared enough, you can start with the test series or attempt online quizzes at Gradeup, Made Easy, ACE. This practice will help you to brush up your concepts better and will eventually help you achieve a good rank in GATE 2019.
Now let us see how the aspirants who have been appearing for the exam for the last 2-3 times should start with their preparation.
Remember, you have more performance pressure, so the most important thing is to keep faith in yourself that you can achieve this.
Many of you must have studied and revised the different subjects of Civil Engineering exam a number of times by now. You already have a fair understanding of the actual level of the competition in this exam. Apart from the above points you must try the following:
- Analyse the mistakes that you commit on a regular basis and jot them down.
- Try practicing more and more questions and join the test series at an earlier stage. Test series are really worth in analysing yourself thoroughly and sooner you will understand its importance.
- Be in contact with some good students who are also preparing for the GATE exam and discuss the concepts and questions which you are facing difficulty in. This might help you in memorizing the formulas and keeping them in your mind for long.
- Revision of subjects is the key to score better in the exam. Even the topper forgets after sometime. So don't let the time gap between your revision schedule exceed more than 20 days.
- Keep yourself motivated. It is essential not to let anything bring your morale down.
Don't think too much about the result. Just work hard and give your best on the D-day. Keep your spirits high and you will certainly reach the ZENITH.
Don’t forget to download GATE preparation app on Google Play Store. It provides free study material, quizzes, previous papers, videos, and all the updates and notification related GATE exam.
For all the latest News, Opinions and Views, download ummid.com App
Select Langauge To Read in Urdu, Hindi, Marathi or Arabic