Hundreds of people from all across Aurangabad and neighboring
towns on Monday late in the evening gathered for the funeral of Mirza Rizwan Baig, a witness in
the 2012 Pune serial blasts.
Baig had hanged himself at his
residence in Chaush Colony, Aurangabad on Sunday afternoon
allegedly due to harassment by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism
Baig was buried in Rauza Bagh
Qabristan after Eisha prayers in the presence of hundreds of
Baig's family had earlier refused to
perform his funeral unless action was not taken against the
guilty. The family claimed his body after the Aurangabad police
assured them of an in-depthprobe.
Baig's family had claimed that he
was repeatedly summoned to Mumbai for questioning in connection
with the blasts and was tortured despite the fact that he was
suffering from a mental illness.
The state Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS)
denied allegations that Mirza Rizwan Baig had committed suicide
due to harassment by the agency.
ATS chief Rakesh Maria said Baig had only been called to Mumbai
twice and refuted the family's claims.
"Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal
had told us he had given money to Baig to be handed over to Kashif
Biyabani, another accused. Baig was first called to Mumbai on
January 3, where we recorded his statement.
"We stopped halfway through as he
was undergoing treatment for mental illness. He was called again
on January 7, when we finished recording his statement. That was
the extent of our inquiries," Maria said.
Meanwhile, Muslims in neighboring Beed called a day long Bandh on
Monday demanding investigation into the suicide of Mirza Rizwan