The Supreme Court Thursday granted four weeks time to surrender
seven other convicts including 70-year-old Zaibunnisa Anwar Kazi.
The Supreme Court had yesterday
granted the same amount of time to Sanjay Dutt - a filmstar and
one of the convicts in the 1993 Mumbai blast case.
Granting relief to Abdul Razak Memon,
Altaf Ali Sayed, Yusuf Mohsin Nulwalla, Zaibunnisa, Issaq Mohd
Hajwane, Shariff Abdul Gafoor Parker alias Dadabhai and Kesri
Adajania, a bench of Justices P. Sathasivam and B.S. Chauhan said
no further time will be given to anyone to surrender on any
Supreme Court had earlier on Tuesday rejected the pleas of three 1993 Mumbai bomb
blasts convicts including Zaibunnisa Kazi that they not be forced to surrender and serve the
remaining part of their respective sentences till the president
decides on their clemency petitions.
Kazi, Mohammed and Abdul had moved the apex court for
suspension of their sentence till their mercy petitions are
decided by the president. They have cited ailments and the
advanced age as reasons for relief.
Kazi, 70, had said that she was being treated for kidney cancer
and her condition was so bad that she not only required constant
medical attention but also needed an attendant. She said she would
not be able to survive in jail.
In her plea, Kazi said that a petition under Article 72 has been
filed on her behalf before the president, seeking pardon of her
Mohammed, 88, and Abdul, 76, cited their age as a ground for
On Wednesday, 11 others convicted in
the case and released on bail surrendered before a Mumbai court
after the Supreme Court rejected their appeals.
Among those who surrendered Wednesday were Sadashiv Talwadekar, a
customs official who was sentenced to eight years in jail and has
already spent six years.
The other convicts who gave themselves up included Khalid Ahmed S.A.
Nazir, Sajjad Alam, Abdullah I. Surti, Faki Ali Ahmed, Syed Ismail
I. Kadri and Janardhan P. Gambas, who have been awarded jail terms
ranging from five to seven years for aiding and abetting the