A day after the special MCOCA court in Mumbai dismissed the bail
application of the nine Muslim youths arrested in the 2006
Malegaon blast case, Samajwadi Party MLAs Abu Asim Azmi and Rashid
Tahir Momin, and Malegaon MLA Mufti Ismael March 16 raised the issue in the
Maharashtra assembly and demanded for justice and their immediate
The three Muslim MLAs were carrying
banners that demanded the release of the Muslim youths and the ban
on Sanatan Sanstha and Abhinav Bharat.
The banners were carrying the
slogans 'be gunaho ko reha karo' and 'Sanatan Sanstha
aur Abhinav Bharat par pabandi lagao' written in Hindi.
The opposition parties are already
creating ruckus in the Maharashtra Assembly since it began its
budget session Monday. Amid the already disturbed assembly, when
these Muslim MLAs raised the demand of the Muslim youths, speaker
Dilip Valse Patil did not allow them to speak and invited them for
a meeting in his chamber.
It is now anticipated that the
speaker would allow these Muslim MLAs to speak on the issue today.
Ironically, Muslim MLAs from the
ruling parties, specially Baba Siddiqi and Amin Patel were at
the forefront to counter the allegations against Chief Minister
over the appointment of Thomas, were mute spectators and did not
come forward to support Abu Asim Azmi, Rashid Tahir Momin and
Mufti Ismail when they raised the demand for the release of the
Meanwhile, Maharashtra State
Minority Commission has decided that it would demand the release
of the Muslim youths at the meeting called by the National
Minority Commission March 18.
"We would be demanding the release
of these Muslim youths in the meeting called by the National
Minority Commission in New Delhi March 18", Mohd Naseem Siddiqui,
Chairman of the Maharashtra State Minority Commission said.
"The National Commission has invited
the heads of all the state minority commissions with a single
agenda. Our agenda at this meeting will be the demand for
immediate release of these Muslim youths in jail since 2006", he
Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram
and Minister for Minority Affairs Salaman Khurshid will also be
present in this meeting.
"We don't have objection on
investigations. Investigations can go on for years. After Swami
Aseemanand's confession there is no need to keep these youths
behind the bar", he said.
"Hence the central government should
direct the CBI and the Maharashtra government to ATS so that these
youths are released", he said.
The nine Muslim accused arrested in
the 2006 Malegaon blast case had moved to
the Special MCOCA Court January 17 seeking bail on the basis of the
confessional statement of Swami Aseemanand, who is allegedly
associated with Hindu terrorist groups and has confessed about his
role in the 2006 Malegaon and other blasts.
Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime
Act (MCOCA) court, however, rejected their bail application March
The accused have already decided to move to to High Court for an
Meanwhile, the CBI which has been
granted permission re-investigation in the case after Aseemanad's
confession has so far not succeeded in getting any breakthrough.
However, according to the sources, its investigation is going on
and one of its team has left for Rajasthan to interrogate Swami