Ummid Assistant

'IGNOU to launch post-graduate medical programmes

IGNOU trains teachers to develop online courses

Welcome Guest! You are here: Home National

Mumbai HC curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators

Monday September 19, 2011 07:35:44 PM, IANS

Related Article

Haj tour operators demand release of quota

With the Haj 2011 season fast approaching, over 600 private tour operators and 50,000 prospective pilgrims are in a quandary as the central government has not yet finalised the quota for them, a top official said. The Indian  

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Monday stayed the allotment of Haj quota to private tour operators till Sep 23 and sought a reply from the central government on the issue, a lawyer said.

The division bench comprising Justice P.B. Majumdar and Justice R.M. Savant was hearing a bunch of over 20 pleas filed by Haj tour operators, said the petitioners' lawyer Aftab Diamondwalla.

Advocate S. Sethna, representing the central government, sought time to file a reply following which the court put off the hearing till Sep 23.

According to Diamondwalla, the petitioners were deprived of their quota following last-minute change in rules by the external affairs ministry and their share (of quota) was allotted to new tour operators.

A quota of 45,491 pilgrims had been allotted to 568 new private tour operators (PTOs), without assigning any valid reasons, he added.

This year, 172,540 Haj pilgrims from India are scheduled to go on the pilgrimage, according to All India Haj Umrah Tour Organisers Association (AIHUTOA) general secretary R.S. Bhikhan.

While around 125,000 will go to pilgrimage through the Haj Committee of India, the remaining shall go through private tour operators.

Last week, the prospects of nearly 10,000 pilgrims were jeopardized following the sudden cancellation of licences of 170 private tour operators by the government.

The licences were cancelled after the ministry revised the eligibility criteria for private Haj tour operators, said AIHUTOA chairman Ibrahim Kolsawala.

The first batch of pilgrims for the most awaited Muslim holy pilgrimage is scheduled to leave Sep 29, and a majority of the affected victims were from Mumbai, he said.

One of the criterion stipulated by the central government was that the private Haj tour operators must have a 250 square feet office.

Since around 170 operators failed to meet the new criteria, their licences to conduct Haj 2011 pilgrimage were cancelled and 125 new operators were included in their place, he said.

"This is arbitrary, unjust and will entail collective losses of over Rs.50 crore to these 170 Haj operators," Kolsawala told IANS.

The services provided by the private tour operators include visa arrangements, tickets and insurance, accommodation in Makkah and Madina, food, transportation, tour guides and medical assistance.
 

 


 






 

 

Bookmark and Share

Home | Top of the Page

 

Comments

Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.ummid.com

Comments powered by DISQUS

 

 

 

Top Stories

Quake claims 42 lives in India, landslides hit rescue work

By Monday at least 42 people had perished across north and east India in the powerful earthquake that originated at its border with Nepal   

Quakes in India: A chronology

Quake jolts several parts of Maharashtra

Quake kills six, injures over 100 in north Bengal

 

  Most Read

AMU Malegaon: Nashik MP extends support; VC ready to send team

In an important development for the establishment of AMU off campus centre in Malegaon, Aligarh Muslim  

Upbeat netizens give a strong thumbs up to AMU Malegaon

Should communal violence bill be recast?

Should the draft bill on communal violence be recast to obviate fears that it will encroach on the rights of states? Analysts differ on the specifics of the draft, but many said that it should be framed in a way that it is broadly acceptable to political parties  

Communal Violence Bill: Let the dogs bark as the caravan goes

 

  News Pick

Batla House encounter 3 yrs on: Demand for impartial probe raised

On third anniversary of the Batla house encounter September 19, hundreds of people including civil rights activists, students and residents of Delhi, participated in a protest march from  

Centre planning to introduce reservation for Muslims

The Centre is proposing to introduce reservation for Muslims in educational institutions and employment on the lines of Andhra Pradesh government, Union Minister for Law and Justice Salman Khursheed  

Police firing did not kill anyone in Bharatpur: Official

Claims and counter-claims over the violence in Rajasthan's Bharatpur district continued Sunday as Chief Secretary Salauddin Ahmed said here that none of the  

Riot victims in Bharatpur allege police brutality

 

Picture of the Day

The 27th of Ramadan (August 26, 2011 this year), "Laylet al-Qadr" (Night of Power), is one of the holiest nights of the Islamic calendar, the night when the Quran began to be revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). Millions from around the world visit the Grand Mosque in Makkah from all over the world and pray over the night.

 

 
 
 
 
 

RSS  |  Contact us

 

| Quick links

News

 

Subscribe to

Ummid Assistant

 

National

Religion

RSS

Scholarships

About us

International

Culture

Twitter

Government Schemes

Feedback

Regional

History

Facebook

Education

Register

Politics

Opinion

Newsletter

Contact us

Business

Career

     

Education

     

 

 

Ummid.com: Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Advertise with us | Link Exchange

Ummid.com is part of the Awaz Multimedia & Publications providing World News, News Analysis and Feature Articles on Education, Health. Politics, Technology, Sports, Entertainment, Industry etc. The articles or the views displayed on this website are for public information and in no way describe the editorial views. The users are entitled to use this site subject to the terms and conditions mentioned.

2010 Awaz Multimedia & Publications. All rights reserved.