Follow us on
Welcome Guest! You are here: Home » National
Delhi Police to move court against BBC documentary on Delhi gang rape
Tuesday March 3, 2015 10:01 PM, IANS

Delhi Police on Tuesday said it was moving court against the airing of a BBC documentary interviewing one of those convicted of the December 16, 2012 horrific gang rape in Delhi.

"We are going to move the court against the broadcast of such inputs," Delhi Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi told reporters here.

"This was a ghastly crime and the law has been broken, we will investigate the case," Bassi said.

He said they were filing a first information report (FIR) on the basis of media reports on the documentary.

"On the basis of the media reports, we have registered a case. We will now approach the court to stop the broadcasting of the documentary as it will malign the image of the victim," said Bassi.

The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) branch of Delhi Police registered a case and started an investigation into the matter.

The documentary by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin has kicked up a storm for interviewing Mukesh Singh, who is among the six men who raped the 23-year-old woman on December 16, 2012 on board a moving bus.

The convict said the girl should not have "resisted" while being raped.

He said women who go out at night had only themselves to blame if they attracted the attention of molesters.

In an interview from jail for the BBC documentary, Mukesh Singh said: "A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy."

The documentary titled "India's Daughter" is to be aired by BBC Four on its Storyville programme on March 8 to coincide with the International Women's Day.

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was raped and assaulted with an iron rod after she was tricked into boarding an unregistered private bus to go home after watching a movie with a male friend.

Her male companion was badly beaten up and could not come to her rescue while the assault was being carried out in the bus.

The two were later dumped naked and bleeding on the roadside. The woman died 13 days after the attack from the injuries inflicted upon her after being airlifted to a Singapore hospital for treatment.

Share this page
Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of
comments powered by Disqus
| Quick links
Contact us
Subscribe to: RSS » Facebook » Twitter » Newsletter Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Advertise with us | Link Exchange is part of the Awaz Multimedia & Publications providing World News, News Analysis and Feature Articles on Education, Health. Politics, Technology, Sports, Entertainment, Industry etc. The articles or the views displayed on this website are for public information and in no way describe the editorial views. The users are entitled to use this site subject to the terms and conditions mentioned.
© 2012 Awaz Multimedia & Publications. All rights reserved.